Cambridge International Examinations A Level English Language and Literature
After the GCE O’ levels, students typically go on to the A’ levels in many education systems around the world. This is the pre-university course. There are three Cambridge Syllabuses for English at this level.
- Cambridge International AS and A Level Literature in English (9695)
- Cambridge International AS and A Level English Language (9093)
- Cambridge International AS Level Language and Literature in English (8695).
At this level, successful English Language learners develop an understanding and enjoyment of a wide variety of different literary texts, both written and spoken. They gain also an understanding of how language can be used for different purposes, and what imagery is used to create different word-pictures. They gain an awareness of how language works in different ways, for different audiences. In addition, they gain skills for life, including:
- the ability to appreciate different registers
- skills in creating one’s own imaginative and persuasive writing for different purposes and audiences
- skills to analyse and compare written and spoken texts in close detail.
We provide extensive study material for poetry, prose, drama, and other texts that are used in the assessment of proficiency in English language and literature at A’ levels. Please click on the links below to access the particular study material.