Online Quiz » GK Quiz » Chinese New Year Quiz
Chinese New Year Quiz
Take this Quick Quiz on the Chinese New Year to see how well you know the favourite festival of the Chinese all over the world.
- 1. What is another name for The Chinese New Year?
a. Moon cake festival
b. Lantern festival
c. New Yin-Yang
d. Lunar New Year
- What is 15th day of the New Year called?
a. Spring Break
b. Cherry Festival
c. Mascot Festival
d. Lantern Festival
- How many animal signs are there in the Chinese calendar?
- 2017 is the year of which animal?
- According to tradition and legends, why is the lion dance performed?
a. Welcoming of the year’s animal
b. Support for the Emperor
c. to drive away evil spirits and monsters like the mythical beast Nian
d. for prosperity
- What color is most commonly used for Chinese New Year decorations?
- How many days does the Chinese New Year celebrations last?
- Which season is Chinese New Year is associated with?
- According to Chinese customs, on New Year's Day you are not supposed to
a. Eat anything
b. Leave home
c. Sweep the house
d. Cook at home
- What fruit, representing luck and prosperity, is traditionally the most popular to be given to people at the Chinese New Year?
c. Star fruit
- One of the differences between the lion dance and the dragon dance is that
a. lion dance is accompanied by drums, and the other is not.
b. lion dance is done by two people whereas a dragon dance needs many people.
c. lion dance is very lively whereas the dragon dance is not.
d. lion dance is performed only in China whereas the dragon dance is performed in many countries.
- Which of these animals is not one of the twelve in the Chinese calendar?
- Why does the date of the Chinese New Year always change?
a. date of the new moon changes each year between January 21st and February 1st
b. Because it depends on the Gods
c. Because it is the tradition
d. Because the Chinese Government decides it.
- Where does a lion dance start and end?
a. In a house
b. at the temple
c. at the ancestral cemetery
d. at the town hall
- What do Chinese children get for Chinese New Year?
- Why do Chinese people buy new dresses for Chinese New?
a. Because they can
b. To show the beginning of a new year
c. to show they are rich
d. to show off
- How old do you have to be to stop receiving ‘angpows’ and start giving them out?
b. After you are married
c. When you are above 60
- 18. What was the CNY animal of the year in 2016?
- What is the celebration on the last day of Chinese New Year?
a. Chap Goh Meh
b. Mooncake Festival
c. Dumpling Festival
d. lantern festival
- Why do the Chinese people play with firecrackers on CNY?
a. Because they look pretty
b. Because they scare away the legendary dragon
c. Because they are very fun to play with
d. No, they do not play with firecrackers on CNY
1. d, 2. d, 3. a, 4. d, 5. c, 6. c, 7. a, 8. a, 9. c, 10. b, 11. b, 12. b, 13. a, 14. b, 15. d, 16. b, 17. b, 18. d, 19. a, 20. b