Iced Cookies Recipe for Kids (6-10 years)
Iced Cookies Recipe
On a cold rainy afternoon, what do kids do? When outside activities are impossible, and parents want to spend quality time with their kids, baking is an ideal option. In fact, baking is a fun activity for kids, though it should be done with adult supervision.
Following is a fun recipe for baking tasty biscuits that is very easy. Parents can bake them for a birthday party and let guests customize one each. They are good for surprise treats and picnics too.
What you need
- Butter – 75 gm.
- Granulated sugar – 75 gm.
- Golden syrup – 1 rounded tablespoon
- Egg – 1
- Self-raising flour – 375 gm
- Ground cinnamon – ½ cinnamon
- Apricot jam – 2 table spoons
- Red icing – 1 pack
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Pastry board
- Rolling pin
- Nonstick baking paper
- Baking sheet
- Small sauce pan
- Colored sugar pearls
- Gift box
- Tissue paper
What to do:
- Place the butter, sugar, and golden syrup in the mixing bowl and cream together with the wooden spoon. Now beat in the egg.
- Sieve the flour, cinnamon and ginger into the creamed mixture. Stir the mixture, then knead it to a firm dough. Set the dough aside for 40 minutes to rest.
- Lightly dust the pastry board with flour. Roll the dough out flat, about 5 mm thick. Stamp out lots of star shapes with the star-shaped cutter. Place them on a sheet of nonstick baking paper on a baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in a preheated oven at 160-ᵒC or gas mark 3 for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the wire rack.
- Warm the apricot jam in the small pan and brush onto the center of a star.
- Roll a ball of red icing 2 cm in diameter. Flatten the ball between your fingers and press onto the center of the star. Press colored sugar pearls into the icing to make circles or other patterns.
- When the icing has set, place biscuits in the gift box.
Cut out the biscuits using a daisy-shaped cutter. When decorating them, place a circle of green icing at the center of each biscuit, then press an icing flower in the middle, and decorate with colored pearl ‘petals’.
Cover a small box with gift-wrap that suits the personality of the person you are giving the biscuits to before arranging them inside.
These iced cookies will keep in a sealed container for one week.
You can experiment with different types of decorations, and decide on the one that is most attractive.