Short Stories » The Unlucky Weaver

The Unlucky Weaver - Panchatantra Stories for Kids

In a small city, a cloth-weaver named Somalika was lived with his wife. He would knit excellent clothes but only for royal families. In spite of weaving high-quality clothes, he was not wealthy. But his other counterparts, who were doing the same job, were financially much better.

He was very sad and said to his wife. “My dear, my weaving quality, and material selection are superior. But, I am still very poor. I can hardly support and provide for our livelihood. But other weavers are rich and wealthy though, they knit inferior quality of clothes. Dear, this place doesn’t suit me. I am planning to leave this place and try my luck somewhere.” His wife didn’t appreciate the idea of migration. “You are earning as much money as we needed for leading our life. Your earnings are sufficient for both of us,” she said.

However, the weaver made up his mind and left for the nearby city in search of better opportunities. The lady luck smiled on him and he earned three hundred gold coins in three years. Now he is rich and successful. So he decided to return home.

On his way back, in the middle of the jungle, he heard two voices.

Destiny: Action, you shouldn’t have supported Somalika and let him earn three hundred gold coins. He doesn’t need this much money for his livelihood.

Action: Destiny, I had to honor him according to his hard work. Now, it’s up to you. How many gold coins will you actually let him have?

He checked his bag immediately. His bag was empty. He had lost all of his gold coins somewhere. He got depressed and thought, how will I face my wife empty-handed?

He discontinued his journey and went back to the town. He worked even harder and earned five hundred gold coins in one year. Finally, he decided to go back to his home.

Again, on his way back, in the mid of the jungle, he again heard those two voices.

Destiny: Action, you shouldn’t have supported him and let him earn five hundred gold coins in just one year. He doesn’t require this much money for his livelihood. Action: Destiny, I had to reward him, according to his endeavor. Now, it’s up to you. How many gold coins will you actually let him have?

Hearing the voice, Somalika immediately checked his bag. There were no gold coins. He got very disheartened. “I am unable to face my wife without even a single penny.” The heartbroken weaver decided to commit suicide.

Just as he about to hang himself, he heard a divine voice.

Don’t panic, I’m Destiny; I have taken your money because you don’t need that much money. But I’m inspired from your diligent deeds. I grant you to ask for one boon, which I shall grant!!

Somalika answered, “Please grant me a thousand gold coins. This is my only wish.”

Destiny replied, “Ok, I will grant you. But you have to fulfil one condition. You should go back to your city and live in the houses of two merchants. After a few days, let me know what you learned from their behaviour.

The weaver again went back to the town. He reached his merchant friend’s house. The merchant was a very rich man. But he didn’t like guests. The weaver could spend only one night at that house. But the cheap merchant treated him in an offensive manner.

Next morning, he visited another merchant’s home. He observed that the second merchant was not so rich.

But the second merchant welcomed him. He treated him well and served the best food he ever had.

At night, he again heard those two voices;

Destiny: Action, you shouldn’t have allowed the merchant to treat the weaver in such a royal manner.

Action: Destiny, the weaver had to spend the night. The merchant did so in his own magnanimous way. You decide the reward of the merchant.

The very next morning, the king’s servant came with gold coins. The destiny awarded him for his good deeds.

The wise weaver understood his lesson completely.

He had understood that one doesn’t need excessive wealth to live a good life.

MORAL: Do hard work, Put in the strides. Leave the rest to destiny.

Was this article useful? What should we do to improve your experience? Share your valued feedback and suggestions!
Help us to serve you better. Donate Now!