Some movies are designed to make you think, better yet, others leave a lasting impression on you. They may make you laugh, or have you curled up in a ball, tears coming out of your eyes non-stop. Such is the power of a good and an iconic movie. Ranking the best and most iconic movies of our time is almost an impossible task. While several movie critics might consider certain movies far better than the others because tastes differ, we have listed out a few iconic movies with a cult following. These iconic movies may not be too popular in critics’ lists, but based on the message and these movies are good enough that you must watch them at-least once in your lifetime.
Iconic Movies of our time
- The Shawshank Redemption: Based on a story written by famous horror writer, Stephen King, this masterpiece is not just an iconic movie, it is a film that has gained a huge cult following over time. You would be under the impression that a movie that is set in a prison would be depressing and not have moments to make you smile. ‘Shawshank Redemption not only manages the impossible task of making you smile, it’s a story so heart-warming, with two lovable convicts and their beautiful bond, told over several years. The friendship that the two convicts share brings forth one of the greatest plot twists of movie history.
- The Godfather: Francis Ford Coppola became one of the greatest filmmakers of our time because of this iconic movie. Based on the book by Mario Puzo of the same name, there is not a truly happy moment in this cult classic. But that does not matter because right from the beginning, you find yourself drawn to the world of the Corleone Mafia Family. The film follows the family struggling to hold onto their power after their feared and loved patriarch, Vito Corleone is nearly assassinated. It highlights the differences and shortcomings of the three sons of whom one is expected to take over the family business.
- Schindler’s List: Steven Spielberg's powerful movie is difficult to watch but it is also one of his greatest movies. The movie is a harrowing tale of Oskar Schindler and his attempts to save Jewish citizens during the Nazi rule in Germany. Shot in black and white, the movie follows the dark days of the Nazi regime, especially the horrifying Holocaust. This iconic movie will be etched in your minds for years to come.
- Dil Chahta Hai: Farhan Akhtar’s debut film was a masterpiece. ‘Dil Chahta Hai’ does not have a complex story that will leave you puzzled. Nor does it have a terrible historic tragedy that has been recreated for audiences. It is a coming of age story that is tailor-made for young people. When we reach our late teens, we are full of idealism and a belief that the world is ours for the taking. This movie tells us that there are times when you need to let go of your idealistic dreams and grow up. Becoming adults is easy, it is behaving like an actual adult that is tough. This iconic movie has a cult fan-following in India today.
- Wake Up Sid: If ‘Dil Chahta Hai’ was about acting like adults, ‘Wake Up Sid’ is simply a reminder that nothing comes to you in a silver platter. It is a movie tailor-made for people who wrongly believe parents have it easy because they have reached an age where they order us around for the sake of it. Backed by powerful acting performances and a solid script, this iconic movie urges us to live our life responsibly and reminds us not to throw away the talents we have been blessed with.
- 3 Idiots: Loosely based on Chetan Bhagat’s ‘Five Point Someone’, the movie follows three friends who choose to study engineering for different reasons. This iconic movie has a powerful message for parents and students alike. The movie tells us the importance of actually learning what we are taught, rather than memorize the textbooks to score excellent grades in the examination. While marks are impressive, they mean nothing unless you learn what you are taught. It is also a wakeup call for the Indian Educational System that encourages the rat race and fierce competition triggered by the unrealistic cut-off marks in Ivy League Colleges in the country.
Iconic Movies to watch
Movies provide an insight into the world we inhabit and teach us a valuable lesson for life. A number of iconic movies teach us a valuable lesson on enjoying life, living responsibly and inspire us to be better versions of who we are. A number of iconic movies of today enjoy a cult fan following because people understand the power of cinema in telling stories that need to be told.