Did You Know? » 25 Interesting Facts
25 Interesting Facts
Have you heard about a Chapel that is decorated using the bones from the skeletons of 40,000 to 70,000 people? It really is true! Read on and be captivated by these seldom known facts from around the world. There are so many different pieces of information that will amaze you as you read through our collection of 25 Did you know facts. From the amount of gold, you can actually find in the boiling hot core of our earth to the weight of a cloud! Don’t forget to share these facts with your friends and family too!
- If there was a way to extract all of the gold from the bubbling red core of our planet, we would be able to cover all of the land on earth in a layer of gold, it would be so thick that it would reach the height as our knees.
- An average person who drives daily spends 6 months of their lifetime waiting on a red light to turn green!
- You actually burn more calories while you sleep than you do when you watch television.
- There are millions more of life forms living on the surface of your skin than there are people living on earth.
- Kangaroos are not the only animals that have pouches. Southern sea otters have flaps of skin below their forelegs that act as pockets; they use these as pouches to store rocks and food when they are diving.
- Have you heard of an animal being hanged for murder? In France, a pig in was executed by public hanging for the murder of a child in 1386!
- Studies show that one in every five adults believe that aliens are hiding in our planet disguised as humans!
- Clouds look like cotton candy, soft and weightless, but in reality just one cloud can weigh 1 million pounds or more!
- The 15th US president, James Buchanan, used to buy slaves with his own money, in order to free them from the horrid system of slavery.
- An average person is said to have walked a distance that is equal to walking three times around the globe in a lifetime.
- We are all familiar with the blackish brown colouring of one of the most famous soft drinks, Coca-Cola. But did you know that the colour of this beverage is really green, the black comes from the food colouring added to the drink.
- Research shows that you do not dream when you snore. Snoring and dreaming cannot happen simultaneously.
- A coyote’s hearing is so sharp that it can even detect the movement of a mouse beneath a foot of snow.
- New York drifts away about one inch from London every year.
- In the past five minutes, earth has travelled more than 5,000 miles!
- If a Hippo opened its mouth to its maximum extent, a 4-foot tall child can stand inside it!
- 95% of people in the world text stuff that they could never say face-to-face to the person on the other end.
- A crocodile’s tongue is anchored all the way along the lower bed of the mouth; this restricts it from poking its tongue out.
- Pigs are the fourth smartest animals on the planet. They are ,in reality, even smarter than dogs!
- Did you know that the Guinness record for the book most often stolen from Public libraries is held by The Guinness Book of Records itself!
- Human bones are really strong. So strong that the human thighbones are stronger than the concrete used in building houses, dams and skyscrapers. Think about that!
- A bee visits more than 2 million flowers just to produce a single pound of honey.
- Have you heard about waterfalls that go up instead of down? The Waipuhia Falls in Hawaii turns into an upside-down fall with the onset of the powerful northeasterly trade winds.
- You can live without eating a morsel of food for about a month, but you will only barely survive a week without water. If the water in your body reduces by 1% you feel thirsty, if it reduces by 10%, you are bound to die.
- A small Roman Catholic Chapel located in Czech Republic has a very scary tourist attraction. A huge chandelier made entirely of human bones! The chapel is decorated with the bones of more than 40,000 people. Well that must be a sight to see, the place attracts over 200,000 visitors every year!
Was this article useful? What should we do to improve your experience?
Share your valued feedback and suggestions!