When adults choose furniture for their own rooms, everything is pretty simple: they want high-quality and pretty stuff. For some of us, sole high quality is completely enough. But when it comes to picking kids’ furniture, some parents feel lost and frustrated, especially if they are first-time parents. They have to look beyond cuteness, playfulness, and consider tens of factors. We all understand that the home environment, as well as furniture, is vital for children’s safety and development.
Is choosing kids’ furniture sets challenging for you as well? Then you are in the right place! Our team has prepared this post to provide parents with well-tried ideas on choosing cozy kids’ furniture. Scroll down!
TIP 1: Safety Is Your Priority
When parents think about the child’s safety, one of the first things that come to mind is the best nanny cam. However, safe kids’ furniture is vital as well. There are numerous children traumas annually involving cribs, playpens, cots, etc. in the USA according to Pediatrics, the official journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics. Therefore, safety goes first!
So, what factors to consider to make a kid-friendly home?
- Kids’ bedroom furniture must be made of appropriate, high-quality, safe materials. Anything breakable or fragile is potentially dangerous and has no place in the child’s bedroom. Similarly, metal beds, chairs, tables are a no-no, they are too hard and unyielding. It’s a good idea to pick polished wood or durable, smooth plastic. Also, make sure kids’ furniture is certified and third-party approved.
- No sharp corners or edges! Kids playroom furniture with sharp corners or edges is a hazard for little ones since they run around and can bump into it. However, if you are a happy possessor of something with killer corners, you can, at least, pad them with special “bumpers”.
- Kids’ furniture must be non-slip. Slippery furniture is an accident waiting to happen. For instance, a table that is easily moved or pushed over isn’t the right choice to place a hot drink or food on it. Besides, it’s dangerous to leave a little one in or on the kids living room furniture that can fall over.
- Ensure that painted furniture is not toxic. All modern kids’ furniture must conform to present-day safety standards. So, you, as a caring parent, should require quality certificates.
- Pick lower and wider furniture for kids’ stuff & toys storage. This way you’ll prevent your child from falling when he/she tries to reach toys or other belongings. Additionally, you should anchor kids’ furniture such as wardrobe, bookcase, drawer, dresser, etc., so that your kid can’t pull them down.
TIP 2: Go for Multifunctional Kids’ Furniture
Growing children need lots of storage space! You can’t go wrong with multiple shelves, commodes, drawers, wardrobes, and under-bed drawers. Kids usually have piles of toys, clothes, books, games, art projects, etc., and extra storage space will encourage them to be more organized and regularly tidy away their stuff. Plus, they’ll have enough room to play and learn.
TIP 3: Get Ready for a Mess
First-time parents may be surprised by kids’ creativeness! They love playing with paint, chalk, pencils, and felt-tips, but it can translate into a headache for you since you’ll have to clean off all their masterpieces from the furniture. Therefore, choose varnished and easy to clean tables and chairs, so that your little one can release his/her creative spirit.
Furthermore, a large chalkboard or wall-mounted easel can work wonders for you and your kid. You’ll just wipe the surface clean when he/she needs new canvas and your child won’t run out of space to express creativity.
TIP 4: Invest in Long-lasting, Durable Kids’ Furniture
Children grow so fast, they’ll outgrow their fun furniture in just a couple of years. Thus, if you don’t want to buy a replacement so soon, invest in larger, durable, classic pieces that can stay for longer. As it’s expected, such furniture will cost more; however, it can lead your kid from the crib up to the teen period. It’s totally worth every penny!
TIP 5: Personalize Your Kid’s Room
If you decorate the room for a toddler, do ask him/her about favorite cartoon heroes, colors, shapes. Let your kid participate in choosing and buying furniture. Even if you pick classic pieces of furniture, add some fun elements or childish decor, this way your little one will feel safe and cozy in his/her room. It’s particularly important to create such a safety zone when you help your toddler to transit from a crib to a big bed.
Before you decide where to buy kids’ furniture, think about the balance between personalized appearance, functionality, safety, and reasonable price. Your child must like it, so do consider his/her taste, unless you choose for an infant.
We do hope our ideas will make your final choice easier!
Author’s Bio: Alex Green is a copywriter with 3 years of experience. He is fond of healthy living and knows everything about home improvement. In his spare time, Alex likes walking with his golden retriever, meeting with friends, and attending the gym.