by Dr. Shanthi Thomas
Pancakes, peanut butter toast and banana roll-ups are awesome breakfast recipes that would make picky eaters happy.
Recipe #1: Two Ingredient Pancakes with fresh fruit.
- Whisk eggs and mash the banana well. Combine the two.
- Warm a pan to medium heat and spray with olive oil.
- Take small portions of the batter and add to the pan.
- Your nutritious and delicious pancakes are ready!
Recipe #2 Peanut butter toast & fruit breakfast kebabs
- peanut butter
- whole wheat bread
- kiwi fruit
- Toast the bread after cutting the crusts off.
- Spread a thick layer of peanut butter on the toasted bread.
- Cut the fruit into bite-sized pieces.
- Layer the fruit on the skewers alternating with pieces of the bread pieces.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe #3 Peanut Butter Banana Roll Ups
- 1 banana
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter, crunchy
- Spread peanut butter thickly on a whole wheat tortilla.
- Put the peeled banana on one side of the tortilla.
- Roll the tortilla tightly with the banana inside and cut into slices.
Recipe #4 Breakfast Burritos
These super easy and delicious protein packed breakfast burritos will keep your kids full till lunchtime.
- Eggs – 8
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Salt – 3/4 teaspoon
- Turkey – 1 1/4 pound, ground
- taco seasoning – 1 tablespoon
- chopped onion – 1/2 cup
- black beans, canned – 15 ounce
- tomatoes with green chilies, canned – 10 ounce
- spinach – 3 cups
- medium tortilla, whole wheat – 15
- cheddar cheese – 4 ounce
- Blend the eggs, milk, and salt together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Place a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, over medium heat.
- Scramble the eggs in the pan. Remove from pan once cooked.
- Use the same pan to cook the ground turkey, with taco seasoning and chopped onions.
- Stir till the meat is cooked.
- Rinse and drain black beans before adding to the pan.
- Add the tomatoes and stir.
- Add the chopped spinach and scrambled eggs. Combine everything and remove from heat.
- Get your tortillas warmed in the microwave so that they are easy to roll.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Place a small amount of filling along the center of the tortillas and roll into burritos. It is best served warm.
Recipe #5 Baked Banana French Toast
- Banana – 2 medium
- large eggs -7
- milk – 3/4 cup
- honey – 1/3 cup
- butter, unsalted – 1/4 cup
- vanilla extract – 1 tablespoon
- cinnamon – 2 teaspoons
- bread, whole wheat – 12 slices
- Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Mash the banana very well in a large bowl.
- Add eggs, honey, milk, melted butter, vanilla and cinnamon. Whisk everything to combine.
- Cut the bread into medium – sized cubes and add to the bowl, gently folding to coat.
- Spread into the baking dish evenly.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve warm with maple syrup and fresh banana slices!
Recipe #6: Instant Breakfast Shake
- low-fat milk– 3 ounces
- plain yogurt– 3 ounces
- soy or rice protein powder– 3 tablespoons
- ground flax seed– 1 tablespoon
- Blueberries, strawberries, or peach slices, fresh or frozen– 1/2 cup
Process all ingredients on high in a blender until smooth. Serve immediately. Add honey or sugar if not sweet enough.
Recipe #6: Homemade Sausage Patties
- Coarsely ground lean pork, beef, or turkey – 2 pounds
- sage– 4 teaspoons
- thyme– 1/2 teaspoon
- marjoram– 1/2 teaspoon
- basil– 1/2 teaspoon
- black pepper– 1 1/2 teaspoons
- water– 2/3 cup
- Get all the ingredients well-blended in a large bowl.
- Shape into 8 patties.
- Fry in a non-stick skillet until fully cooked and slightly browned, or pack for freezing and use patties as needed.
Recipe #7: Sweet Potato Kale Frittata
- large eggs – 6
- half-and-half – 1 cup
- Kosher salt – 1 tsp.
- freshly ground pepper – 1/2 tsp.
- sweet potatoes – 2 cups
- olive oil – 2 tbsp.
- firmly packed chopped kale – 2 cups
- small red onion – 1/2
- garlic – 2 cloves
- goat cheese – 3 oz.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Blend the eggs, salt, pepper, and half and half together.
- Sauté sweet potatoes in hot oil (1 tablespoon) in a pan over medium heat until potatoes are golden.
- Remove and keep warm.
- Sauté kale, onion and garlic in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil 3 to 4 minutes or until kale is tender.
- Stir in potatoes.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables, and cook for three more minutes.
- Sprinkle the egg mixture with goat cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 14 minutes or until set.