Choosing the best baby products for your bundle of joy can be testing with the current influx of products today on the market. Learning to identify safe baby products that are best for your baby is crucial. Here are some pointers to keep in mind while choosing safe baby products.
Raising a baby is probably one of the most underrated tasks humanity has ever come across. It’s something that parents are expected to “learn on the job.” Nobody is fully prepared for it, and yet the responsibility is second to none.
It’s actually fascinating that you have to meet certain pre-requisite criteria to obtain a license to drive a car, start a business, and to even legally choose your life partner, and yet raising a baby, which is something so crucial is seemingly anybody’s cup of tea!
As a parent, the safety of your baby is your No.1 priority. Since babies are unaware of their surroundings and unable to comprehend the concept of self-preservation, the responsibility of keeping it safe and healthy falls entirely on you as a parent. Babies are very precious and fragile and exceptionally sensitive to most things we adults use in our daily lives. Choosing safe baby products designed to cater to these sensitivities and tendencies is crucial.
Baby Products can be broadly classified as:
- Trams/Carriers – These products primarily function as protection while facilitating everyday moment. The containers are for keeping the baby safe when asleep, awake and for transporting them. Cribs, Cradles, Slings, Carriers, Strollers, Car Seat are examples of safe baby products.
- Fabric – consists of all cloth or synthetic materials that come in contact with the baby’s skin. Mattresses, Blankets, Sheets, Clothes, Warm wear are examples of fabric, check this Parent Guide for more info.
- Hygiene Maintenance – Diapers, Bathtubs, Changing Tables, Potty, and safe baby bath products such as baby soap, and safe baby skin products such as powder and baby oil are examples of hygiene maintenance.
- Toys: Toys & Distraction Rattlers, Pacifiers, Teethers, Fluffy Dolls are examples of Toys.
- Feeding Products – Bottle & Nipple, Spoons, Bowls and aprons.
However, while choosing from the vast collections of available baby products in the market, keeping the safety of the baby as paramount is what most parents find overwhelming. Here are some tips that should allow you to make the best possible decision in choosing the right products for your baby.
Consult your Paediatrician
Your Paediatrician must be your primary source of all information regarding the health of your baby. Since babies and everything about them is what they are specialized in, they are aware of all the pros and con of all leading baby products in the market.
Have a secondary source of reliable information
A secondary source of information which can act as a second opinion. Reliable books, Child health sites or online Paediatric advice etc… However, the information from your Paediatrician should be considered as the most reliable and ultimate.
Choose dedicated baby products
Products designed specifically for babies are more expensive than regular products because they are made with very mild chemical signatures and non-toxic compounds. These products clearly state that it is intended for a baby or infant of a specific age.
Know your baby well
Understand your baby’s allergies or hypersensitivities to substances in general. It also includes some specific tendencies which are unique to your baby. Combine this knowledge with the most commonly occurring toxins or hazards in regular baby products will help you understand which specific products are a definite no-no for your baby.
Always monitor your child
Your baby is the first indicator if you are using something potentially unsafe. Slight changes in your baby’s skin texture such as rashes/dryness etc… are the first indicators of using an unsafe or allergic product.
Always remember that there should be no compromises when it comes to the safety of your little bundle of joy. By following the advice of your pediatrician diligently and monitoring your child closely combined with an initiative to understand the general hazards should help you choose best baby safety products for your baby.