Teacher Resources » Fun Ways To Introduce Your Lesson
Here is what you need to introduce your lessons in a fun way that gets your students’ attention, and ready for your lesson. This is a great way to motivate your students to sit up and listen to you. Begin each lesson with one or two of these fun facts.
Fun facts about the human body
- Do you know how many times a typical tooth bites and chews in its lifetime? 15 million times !
- If all the blood vessels in our body were joined end to end, it would be long enough to go around the earth twice!
- The digestive tract – from mouth to rectum - is about 8-9 metres long!
- Each day, our kidneys filter our blood more than 300 times!
- Red blood cells die off and are replaced in the body at the rate of 2 million every second!
- If you lined up all the neurons in your body, end to end, the line would be 950 km long!
- An eyelash or eyebrow hair has a life time of only 10 weeks.
- Do you know how much a baby grows in a year? From the age of two, they grow around seven to eight cm a year. Boys usually grow a bit taller than girls.
- How fast does your hair grow? Well, it grows around 12 mm a month.
- The tongue is the most flexible of all the muscles in the body. Well, obviously. That is why we can talk so much!
- Can you tell me how many nerve cells there are in the human brain? More than the stars in the Milky Way! And how many stars are there in the Milky Way? Between 100 and 400 billion stars according to asd.gsfc.nasa.gov/blueshift/index.../how-many-stars-in-the-milky-way/ !
- It is better to smile than to frown. Why? Conserve energy! You have to use only 20 muscles to smile, but twice that number of muscles to frown!
- Can you tell me which is the hardest substance in the human body? It is the enamel that covers your tooth.
- Did you know that we human beings shed our skin regularly? As we move, wipe our body with towels or wash, the outer layer of the skin wears away. This layer gets replaced completely every month.
- Never ever smoke, okay? Why? There are about 4000 chemicals in cigarette smoke. Among them, more than 50 are carcinogens, which means that they can cause cancer, and other poisons.
- How many bones does an adult human being have? 206 is the answer. However, did you know that about one in twenty people has an extra pair of ribs? Usually the number of ribs we have is 12, but these special people have 13!
- Also, did you know that a newborn baby has around 350 bones? More than adults! The number becomes less as these bones fuse together, as the baby grows older.
(Adapted from Human Body, Top That Publishing, UK, 2013); Image courtesy: politified.com
Watch this space for more………have fun teaching!