Successful Study Tips and Techniques for Children | Page 3 of 7
Importance of School Life!
This is not a study tip, rather a precise note that depicts the importance of school life!
Your life is not segmented into semesters. You will neither get a winter vacation, nor a summer break! You won’t get new life every three months! Life does not give you a holiday for religious celebrations either. You have to show up every day without fail! Does that sound daunting?
School is the place that helps in self-realisation, a place where ‘UNITY in DIVERSITY’ really has its meaning. Children, don’t neglect school and parents, let your children know how awesome school life is.
It is a great pleasure to see your kid write alphabets. But you cannot expect it to happen in a day. It is not something that could happen immediately or by the wave of a magic wand. It requires hard work and careful practice. There are different states of learning to write.
- Random scribbling – Give your kids a pen or a pencil and let him or her scribble as he / she likes
- Controlled scribbling – An improved level of writing where the kids can draw over the lines, shapes, images, etc.
- Lines and patterns – An imitated writing, where lines, shapes, patterns, dots, etc are imitated by kids
- Pictures – Kids draw random pictures on their own and name them.
- Letters – Writing alphabets is the final stage, which is followed by simple words.
Beat the Summer Boredom
Summer, although an exciting prospect for children, many little ones tend to get bored at home. Encourage your child to keep him or her busy during the vacations. While they learn many new things at home, they don’t get bored. Some activities that could keep your child on his/ her toes are:
- Involving the child in drawing / painting activities. Let the child follow his mind. Do not restrict the child with your worries of him/ her soiling the clothes or the work area. Let the child enjoy the activity free of guilt.
- Reading stories together can be a fun-filled activity. In addition to developing comprehension, reading and listening skills, there is a bond created between the parent and the child
- Enrolling the child on any entertainment activity–singing class, musical instruments, chess, etc.
- Letting the child actively participate in the daily home activities – like preparing the home budget, cleaning home, grocery shopping, travel planning, gardening, cooking etc.
- Getting a summer calendar to mark the activities and praise them or gift them for successful completion of each activity.
If your child seems to get bored to read or learn, follow popcorn reading, especially for stories with morals and interesting information.
Popcorn reading is nothing taking turns in reading along with your child, with the child reading the first part, which could be a whole page or a paragraph or even a single line. It is a great way to make reading very engaging. Also, your child loves to see that you also have interest in reading.
Make your child learn easily, taking cues from daily life
Studying and learning new things isn’t just limited to school books or school education. You can make your child learn each and every aspect easily by connecting it with things that happen in daily life.
Teaching toddlers colours and numbers
Let your toddler learn vibrant colours and numbers by experiencing them in the real world. Take your child to a park or a vegetable market, or a garden to explain and differentiate various colours. Even if they are unable to come up with the right answer instantly, they would never forget. For instance, show the colour red through tomatoes, green through beans, orange through carrots and much more. The next day you take them to the same place, they would recall the colours and will surprise you by pointing out to them. Similarly, you can teach the numbers with objects, like X number of flowers, toys, chocolates, cookies, etc.
Many children need assistance from their parents for doing homework.
Great, if you are going to sit with them and help them. Remember, you should just guide them, not get involved completely in their studies.
If you decide to sit with them during home study or an assignment, have a look over it. Before you assist your children, make sure that you understand it completely. This is very important in case of any special assignments.
Listen to your kids, his or her ideas and how he or she wants to do it. For instance, you may be an expert in mathematics, but your child has studied the simple math problem in a different way as taught in school. Stay cool and composed. Also, ensure how much time you want to spend with your child during study, as you might not want to be irritable to the little one and discourage him/ her by saying, ‘You are too slow’, ‘it’s wrong’, ‘it’s getting late’ etc.
Don’t frustrate your kid with your lack of attentiveness! You may rather choose not to assist them.
Reading is a great habit, which is being overlooked in the recent years. A great reader becomes a great scholar! Inculcate reading habit in your children to help them gain knowledge in varied areas.
To bring on the reading habit, you should follow it! Give your family a special reading time every day or at least every week. Read together as entire family, the same book or different books or the Newspaper or magazines of your choice, in silence. This habit will inspire kids to read!
Academic achievements will become easier when your kids develop reading habit. Also, reading improves vocabulary and fluency!
Make your child learn things easily!
Are you a parent of a preschooler? Then this is for you to make your child learn things (not study for the sake of good grades) easily!
- Read with your child every day.
- Don’t hesitate to answer repeated questions.
- Name everything and don’t say you don’t know.
- Try to read by mimicking different voices or sounds. It can make the exercise very interesting for the child
- Don’t put your kid into boredom, know when to stop.
- Be interactive. Ask questions, doubts and listen to the responses from your child.
- Motivate and appreciate – This is what every child needs.
Let your kid learn any other language. Reason, simple! Your child will be familiar with another language!
Ok, jokes apart. Learning any other language improves your child’s ability and makes your child smarter. Your child will improve his power of concentration, memory etc. Also, according to a recent research, children who learn two or more languages carry higher IQ score and score 20 percent higher than others in competitive exams.
Remember, raw clay can be molded easily, so can kids. Make your child commence learning a new language not later than 5 years of age.
Find a good place to study
Choose somewhere quite where you won't be interrupted.
Don't study too late into the night - you'll be tired in the morning.
Make sure you rest in between study sessions.
Believe in yourself, your ability, your perseverance. Hard work always bears the best fruits. You bet!
Make sure you eat well and eat healthy. It will refresh your brain and give you a boost.