Learn English » Grade 8 English Vocabulary
Grade 8 English Vocabulary
Idioms using human body parts - finger, thumb and hand
- The plan has been given the thumbs up/down
- has been approved (up) or rejected (down).
- That office block sticks/stands out like a sore thumb next to such a beautiful park.
– looks different from everything else in its environment (in a negative sense).
- As a rule of thumb, always write down the code.
- As a general, useful rule
- The boss has given me a free hand at work.
- Allows me to take whatever action I want to
- Things got out of hand and the police arrived.
- Got out of control.
- I don’t really have any first-hand knowledge of nature conservation.
- Direct/from experience
- That restaurant has changed hands twice.
- Been sold to a new owner
- I have my hands full with three children.
- Am very busy/have a lot of things to do.
- I’d like to try my hand at scuba-diving one day.
- Try it for the first time.
- Give me a hand with this big box, will you?
- Help me, e.g. to carry lift it
- I have washed my hands off the whole project as it caused so many problems.
- Stopped being involved in
- I always like to have a dictionary to hand when I’m reading English newspapers.
- Available; nearby
- Rosa had all the statistics at her fingertips.
- Remembers and quotes easily
- I think I have put my finger on the problem.
- Identify what is wrong.
- Jane never lifts a finger at home.
- Never helps out.
- Paula has really got green fingers.
- Everything she plants seem to grow beautifully.
- He got his fingers burnt in a financial deal in 1998.
- Suffered badly and lost a lot of money at the time.
- I am getting my exam results tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed for me!
- Hope for good luck
Rewrite the underlined part of each sentence with an idiom.
- I think it would be good if you got some direct experience of working in a poor country before working for an aid organisation at home.
- Jerry has withdrawn completely from the club committee. He was so disgusted that he just quit, and never wants to see any of them again.
- That new power station on the coast is such an ugly sight! You’d think they would have built it to blend in with the landscape.
- Have you ever had a go at water-skiing? My sister’s got a boat if you would like to try.
- I always have to have the cookbook right next to me when I’m trying out a new recipe.
- The Director of Police said that he has identified the cause of the mysterious disappearance of the woman.
- Washed his hands off
- Sticks out like a sore thumb
- Tried your hand
- To hand
- Put his finger on