boys and girls - chores at home

My husband insists that I give 'boy's type' chores to my son and 'girl's type' chores to my daughters. Boy's type according to him is like washing the car, etc, while girl's type is such as washing the dishes etc. According to me, all my children should learn to do all these jobs. My son should wash dishes, and my daughters should help in washing the car too. What do others think?

Comments

• Hi Shanu. I am sure you are right. Both boys and girls should learn to do all. To insist that there are gender specific roles is really regressive and unfair. In today's world, boys also should do cooking and washing the dishes. Girls also should learn how to wash a car. Biological roles are different, I agree. But that does not mean that girls should be confined to the kitchen and boys should be outside the house. It is time to change all these stereotypes.
  • HI all. In the school in South Africa where I work, it is mandatory that boys and girls do some chores in their class, such as cleaning the board, emptying the rubbish bin, and sweeping the floor. There is no difference in the type of chore given to boys and girls. and I think that is just how it should be.