Amazing Facts » 15 Interesting Facts About The Internet
15 Interesting Facts About The Internet
- Do you know who sent the first ever email? It was a US programmer named Ray Tomilinson who developed the email system and sent the first ever email in 1971. The “@” symbol was used to show that the message was sent to a person, not a machine.
- Addicted to the internet 24/7? Let us go to China. China has treatment camps for people addicted to the internet. According to Tao Ran, director of the country’s first Internet addiction treatment clinic in Beijing, 40% of those addicted to the Internet suffer from ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).
- The first country in the world to make internet access a legal right is Finland. They did so in 2010.
- Who created the first webcam? The first webcam was created at the University Of Cambridge to observe the Trojan coffee pot. A live 128×128 picture, on grayscale, of the state of the coffee pot was given as the video feed.
- The first tweet was done on 21st March, 2006 by Jack Dorsey and the first YouTube video uploaded was “Meet At Zoo” by Jawed Karim at 8:27 p.m. on April 23, Saturday, 2005.
- The internet is even providing people with a roof over their heads! There’s a whole group of “Homeless” Japanese youth, who live and sleep exclusively in Internet Cafés.
- Well, did you know that there is 3G cell service and internet capabilities at the peak of Mt. Everest? Talk about technology reaching peaks!
- Saint Isidore of Seville, a Bishop and scholar, was nominated as the patron saint of the internet by the late Pope John Paul II, although the Vatican has not yet made it official.
- Talk about high tech prisons! All prisoners in Norway have internet in their cells.
- National Institute of Standards and Technology, Colorado created a clock so accurate that it would not lose or gain a second in 20 million years. This is the clock that is used for internet time.
- ‘Insurance’ is the most expensive keyword in google adwords.
- The official updates page for Minecraft is the most popular Tumblr.
- The world record for the fastest time to log into a Gmail account is 1.16 seconds.
- The inventor of the modern World Wide Web, Tim Berners-Lee, was knighted in 2009 April by Queen Elizabeth II. He has been dubbed ‘the father of the web’.
- Mr. Berners-Lee uploaded the first image to the internet. It is of a joke band of women from the nuclear research lab CERN.
Image courtesy: fossbytes.com
Image courtesy: kickassfacts.com
Image courtesy: telegraph.co.uk
Image courtesy: en.wikipedia.org